MDM for Anything (MDM Summer Series Part 6)
MDM for Anything (MDM Summer Series Part 6)
- Jean-Michel Franco
Jean-Michel Franco is Director of Product Marketing for Talend. He has dedicated his career to developing and broadening the adoption of innovative technologies in companies. Prior to joining Talend, he started out at EDS (now HP) by creating and developing a business intelligence (BI) practice, joined SAP EMEA as Director of Marketing Solutions in France and North Africa, and then lately Business & Decision as Innovation Director. He authored 4 books and regularly publishes articles, presents at events and tradeshows and can be followed on Twitter: @jmichel_franco
- August 14, 2014
In this “summer series” of posts dedicated to Master Data Management for Product Data, we go across what we identified as the five most frequent use cases of MDM for product data.
After reviewing all the other use cases, there is what I call MDM for “anything”. This is in fact not a real facet, because the only common point of the product data that goes in this category is that they don’t belong to the aforementioned categories.
MDM for Product Data deals with the things that you are producing, and eventually also the things that you using to produce them. The structure of those, together with the processes to create, distribute and use them, may be very specific to your activity: Professional Services companies, and more generally any companies that deals with large projects, have their work breakdown structures. Environmental Services have their waste types. Life Sciences companies have their compounds. And the list goes on. When those things are widely shared across activities and the enterprise is struggling with multiple data entry or reporting systems, resulting in process inefficiencies, then there is obviously a place for MDM for Product Data.
In case you have found in your business such "things" that would benefit from MDM, you may then feel a little lonely while searching for literature, well documented business cases to inspire you while defining your ROI, or predefined models and templates. But the good news is that you should find food for thought from the other use cases anyway: the core discipline of Master Data will still apply, so you will be able to leverage best practices in order to create your shared definition of data, manage data accurary, establish data governance and stewardship, and connect your data sources and targets, applications, business processes and users to your master data.
Now that we have discovered the 5 facets of MDM for Product Data, let us look at the capabilities needed from an MDM solutions to address each of those use cases, begining with MDM for Material Data.
Risorse più scaricate
Esplora le nostre risorse più consultate – non puoi accontentarti di una sola.
- Day-in-the-Life of a Data Integration Developer: Introduction to Talend Studio
- Why We Think Gartner’s 2016 Magic Quadrant for Data Integration is a Big Milestone for Open Source
- It’s Not About the Dot: A Journey to Becoming a Leader in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data Integration Tools
- CIO: 3 Questions to Ask about your Enterprise Data Lake
- What’s New in Talend Data Preparation 1.2?
- What’s New in Talend Data Preparation 1.2?
- Meeting the French President at the Elysée Palace
- Talend’s Evolution: An Innovative and Ongoing Journey
- Welcome to the Data-Driven Era
- Syncing Users and Groups from LDAP into Apache Ranger
- The Rise of MDM in the Analytics Age
- Practical Cryptography with Apache CXF JOSE
- 5 Enterprise Software Upgrade Best Practices You Should Know
- Are You Ready For The Data Age? Five Maturity Levels in Data-Driven Organizations
- SaaS Data Migration & Data Integration
- Bridging the Gap Between Business and IT with Self-Service Data Preparation
- How Apache Spark™ Feeds Real-Time Sports Analytics
- Creating a Hortonworks Big Data Pipeline at the Speed of Talend
- Data Preparation, to the Moon and Beyond
- Our Newest Data Fabric – A Gateway to Enterprise-Wide Data Driven Insights
- Data Prep 101: Diving into Enterprise Features
- IoST and IoUT: Why They Matter for IoT Growth
- Complex Generation and Distribution of Documents with Talend
- The Evolution of ETL and Continuous Integration
- Die Verschmelzung von digitaler und physischer Welt: das Internet der Dinge
- Spark Summit West & Apache Spark 2.0—An Electrifying Week in Big Data
- Moving Data to the Coalface to Achieve Business Success
- How to Aggregate Clickstream Data with Apache Spark
- The Lambda Architecture and Big Data Quality
- Artificial Intelligence is no Longer Science Fiction, It’s a Reality
- Career Opportunities in Talend for Big Data: Your Guide to Bagging Top Talend ETL Jobs
- Talend and “The Data Vault”
- Stop Chasing Perfection in Analytics. Here’s Why
- Introduction to Apache Beam
- Making Sense Out of the Big Data Tangle
- Telcos and the Big Data-Driven Opportunity
- Analytics for the Masses: Five Things to Consider
- The Real Challenge of Analytics
- Internet of Things: Connecting the Digital to the Physical World
- Utilizing the Kerberos Protocol in Talend
- Key Components for Laying the Foundation for your Data-Driven Enterprise
- Talend Job Design Patterns & Best Practices: Part 2
- What are the Top Three Questions Keeping CDOs Up at Night?
- Five Key Tips for Making MDM the Foundation for Your Customer Centric Organizations
- Talend Integration Cloud Spring ‘16: Making Leaps with Spark, Amazon Redshift, and EMR Integration
- The Five Phases of Hybrid Integration—Part II
- How To Operationalize Meta-Data in Talend with Dynamic Schemas
- Why Marketing Teams Need Data Prep Tools!
- Apache Solr High Speed Data Integration Plugin
- The Five Phases of Hybrid Integration—Part I
- Big Data: Why You Must Consider Open Source
- Step-by-Step: Running, Testing and Debugging a Job in Talend Open Studio
- Talend and Google Services Components: 9 Possibilities to Explore
- JAX-RS 2.1 Specification Work Has Started
- Delivering Data “As You Like It” with Self-Service
- Big Data & Logistics: 7 Current Trends to Watch
- Step-by-Step: Constructing a Job in Talend Open Studio
- Good News Marketeers! Your Day Job Just Got a WHOLE lot Easier
- Data Prep 101: Getting Started with Talend Data Preparation
- Clean and Actionable Data 1 Click away
- Big Data and the Big Game: Super Bowl 50
- 3 Trends Behind the Movement to Real-Time Data
- Talend Connect 2015: Rethinking Data
- 3 Cloud Trends to Prepare for in 2016
- WADL and Swagger United in Apache CXF
- Talend Joins Google to Propose Dataflow as an ASF Incubator Project
- All Talend MDM Users Can Now Help Create a Golden Record
- My Challenge to Informatica: Let’s Play
- Talend’s Benchmark Against Informatica – Setting the Record Straight
- Start Easily Using Apache Spark With Talend 6!
- Improve Customer Engagement and Generate More Business with Apache Spark
- Software Development’s Fountain of Youth
- Don’t Let Your Emails Bounce Back!
- Letting Your Data Quality Software Understand Your Data
- 2016 Predictions – 4 Ways Big Data & Analytics Will Impact Every Business
- Spoiler Alert! Talend 6.1 Hits the ‘Big Screen’
- When it Comes To Big Data – Speed Matters
- What’s Next for IoT: 4 Things to Watch
- IT stuff for free! – 3 Zero-Cost Integration Projects
- Explore the Talend 6 Studio and Its Exciting Productivity Features
- Creating the Golden Record that Makes Every Click Personal
- The Universal Language of Data Mastery
- [Demo] Combining Talend 6 + Spark for Real-Time Big Data Insights
- 6 Things You Should be Looking for in a Big Data Platform
- Too Soon to Talk Holiday Shopping?
- A Surprisingly Simple but Effective Masking System
- You Too Can Become a Data Rock Star & Change the World
- Our Sandbox has Better Toys
- Talend Connect: Step into the future of Big Data!
- Three Key Takeaways from Amazon re:Invent 2015
- Building ‘Houses’ in the Cloud
- You’ve Bought Into the Cloud: Now What?
- Self-Service and Data Governance Empowers LOB Users
- Why Driving a Data-Driven Culture is Essential to Business Success
- Unlocking the Power of the Cloud: Talend Teams Up with AWS at re:Invent 2015
- You Can’t Fake the Data-Driven Force
- Real-Time Big Data is About to Go Mainstream – Are You Ready?
- Survive and Thrive in a Data-Driven Future: Talend Hits the Big Apple at Strata and Hadoop World 2015!
- The Role of Data Governance in Delivering Seamless Omni-Channel Experiences
- The Path to Optimize Retail Operations through Big Data
- Being a Data-Driven Retailer: What’s in it for You?
- Bootstrapping AWS CloudFormation Stacks with Puppet and Structured EC2 User Data
- Spaghetti alla Cloud: Prevent IT Indigestion today! (Part II)
- Sporting Lessons to Kick-Start Big Data Success
- Why Everyone Will Become a Part-Time Data Scientist
- The Union of Real-Time and Batch Integration Opens Up New Development Possibilities
- Spaghetti alla Cloud: Prevent IT Indigestion today! (Part I)
- Retail: Personalised Services to Generate Customer Confidence
- What is a Container? Cloud and SOA Converge in API Management (Container Architecture Series Part 2)
- Use Big Data to Secure the Love of Your Customers
- Defining Your “One-Click”
- Big, Bad and Ugly – Challenges of Maintaining Quality in the Big Data Era – Part 1
- Key Capabilities of MDM for Anything, and Wrap-up (MDM Summer Series Part 11)
- Key Capabilities of MDM for Product Information Management (MDM Summer Series Part 10)
- Key Capabilities of MDM for Regulated Products (MDM Summer Series Part 9)
- Key Capabilities of MDM for Lean Managed Services (MDM Summer Series Part 8)
- Key Capabilities of MDM for Material Data (MDM Summer Series Part 7)
- MDM for Anything (MDM Summer Series Part 6)
- Product Information Management (MDM Summer Series Part 5)
- MDM for Regulated Products (MDM Summer Series Part 4)
- MDM for Lean Managed Services (MDM Summer Series Part 3)
- Home Centro Risorse
- Panoramica dei prodotti
Vuoi saperne di più?
Non perderti i nuovi contenuti! Iscriviti alla nostra newsletter.